Re: Your mc efforts is a great job !!! [Warning]: Long

[Warning] Long, as I reiterated some points from the prev discussion.

Pavel Roskin wrote:

[snip]
> I'm not sure you are talking about mcfs. mcfs doesn't allow you to
> execute any remote commands other than whatever is already
> supported by mcserver. That's the standard file operations supported by FTP
> plus a few goodies like chmod.

I do not know the details of the actual implementation, but IMHO the idea itself is very elegant althouth slightly ahead of the codebase with its hardwired hotkeys. It's better to be preserved and extended it to the full functionality. We should not throw out the child with a water. Your concerns about security might be slightly overstated, as IPsec, SSL or similar secure or semi-secure channel can be used. Moreover on switched networks that now prevail, the session is not that easy to sniff, if switches are configured correctly and hardened against ARP poisoning. For example in the 3COM switches (SuperStack II) enabling "Port Security" on a port makes the switch remember the first MAC address it receives and locks that MAC address to that port until overridden by manual intervention. After that any hacker can hit the wall with his head as long as he wish. Also any attempt to use ARP poisoning in corp. environment usually trigger IDS.

Here I am discussing the general ("theoretical") value of client-server mode for this type of managers. And it is in this lights I stated in http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/Ofm_04.shtml and I am still convinced that mc client-server capabilities provides an important, pioneering step in the right direction. If keystrokes are parameterized into a "command language", not hardwired like in the current implementation, then this client server model is very natural with the server interpreting internal "command language" and client converting keystrokes to the command stream and updating panels.

The key advantage is the unique powerful and very attractive blend of FTP and telnet functionality in one interface. IMHO such a functionality might constitute a new protocol, "a command line VNC", if you wish.

Probably equally important is the possibility of avoiding those horrible "Alice in Wonderland" key binding problems that litter this list. The server is immune to the host key bindings and you can use just one client on, say, the most "mc-friendly" Linux flavor (RH8 with the gnome-terminal 2.0.1-5 ;-) to administer all your servers. That instantly makes mc much more appealing tool to the system administrators who need to work with a lot of servers and might help to increase the development resources by attracting new talented developers.
[snip]

> I was confused by "VFS" meaning two different things on adjacent
> lines. I still don't know what NC5 XTree VFS is. I have never used NC5.

That's how I call "flat file VFS". As a PhD I have the responsibility to obscure things by inventing new terms ;-). See also http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/Ofm_00.shtml. The book discuses several implementations including NC5.

[snip]

> > The idea is to have access to top and bottom directory in the
> > current panel (which of course depends of your sorting mode) via hotkeys.
> > As I said, I'm not aware of such key in mc.

It's actually not defined either in OFM1999 standard or in OFM2004 standard (see http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/Ofm_08.shtml and http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/Ofm_09.shtml ). Here is what OFM1999 is saying (sorry, it's slightly Windows-biased ;-) :

   The hotkey assignment for sorting is optional.  If the hotkey is
   defined its action should correspond to the F9-(LR)-S sequence for
   the current panel and display the same menu so that the proper order
   can be selected with the second key from the menu. Alternatively,
   Ctrl-F3, Ctrl-F4, Ctrl-F5, Ctrl-F6 and Ctrl-F7 can be used for
   sorting by name, extension, modification time, size and unsorted,
   correspondingly ("NETSU" order).

For Unix you need to add the ability to sort by sort by permissions, owner and group. So the menu selection string became "NETSUPOG".

As for the hotkey, actually, how about Ctrl-A ? A very convenient hotkey for a frequently used operation (and resorting of columns is definitely very frequently used, at least by advanced users). Actually you are in a better position to suggest a suitable hotkey as I do not really understand all the tradeoffs of the Unix environment especially the potential conflicts with Emacs/XEmacs (I use Vim/Gvim).

[snip]

> > >Again, it's something that needs to be implemented and maintained. There > > >is not enough manpower to maintain even the existing featured in a good
> > >shape.

Very true, and that's my point too. Here I would like to reiterate some points as we moved the discussion.

I consider your efforts to be really outstanding because you not only managed to revitalize the development, but also stop the feature creep. Without your efforts mc probably would scale down to version 4.35. IMHO two of your recent decisions (1) to clean the code of GUI-related staff and (2) Windows-port related staff were very timely.

Two things are now more or less clear:
   -  mc is in the stabilization phase and it's level of maturity is
   reasonably high,

   -  the development resources are very scarce and just keeping up
   with the usual flow of bugs strains the resources.

That's why I think it make sense to bite the bullet and move this "cleaning" strategy on a new level by using the capabilities of S-lang. Adding S-lang and exposing relevant internal functions might took the same amount of efforts as a regular cleaning of code that is needed anyway, but with much better return on the investment. Iit gives you an opportunity to concentrate on simplifying and refactoring the core codebase by removing several ad hoc mini-languages invented in usual hacker-style traditions. For example, the code implementing "user extension predicates" and "user menu visibility predicates" are two examples of mini-languages, implementations of which can instantly be replaced with S-lang with no or very little effort.

Also the pool of people who can develop/polish scriptable parts is bigger/deeper. That's a natural separation of labor that the current development environment is lacking: you need to be a jack of all trades and react to each and every hotkey problem (actually even in todays situation several things from the dscussions can probably be added to FAQ to cut the number of such issues). Assuming the core and scripting part are separated you have a core team and the extension development community like in Emacs. that's a more powerful combination and I suspect that more people might be willing to help with the scripting, but few would dig into the current C codebase.

>> That might be not that simple and there might be some savings.
>> For example slang interpreter may be easily embedded
>> into mc to make it extensible. And that provides an opportunity to cut "feature creep"
>> that takes a lot of efforts to
>> maintain by implementing some features via macros.

> I'd rather go with something more suitable for writing anything from syscalls to multi-dimension > arrays. Also, it would be helpful if the language was specifically designed to be embedded.
> I thing Perl or Guile  will be fine, but I didn't research
> this question. Anyway, it's  all in the far future.

True, but paradise is unachievable on the earth, you know :-). Something is always missing. And that especially true about embeddable languages. I mentioned S-lang because it might be the easiest to implement. The library is used by mc already, so it's almost in. Actually for system calls, S-lang's "intrinsic function" mechanism can be used (see jed codebase). S-lang also has arrays and hashes, so it looks more or less adequate for the purpose. But the most important point is that it's already *almost in*.

Moreover S-lang usage in mc may provide stimulus for further improvement of both the S-lang and its interpreter and thus lift some or all of the current limitations/reservations. There also may be some kind of cross-pollination / integration with jed, which is a much better editor then cooledit , so this is actually not a one time tradeoff when you can lose of win, but a dynamic situation, a potentially mutually beneficial two-way process.

It is true that S-lang has its own warts and limitations, but please understand that is such situation there is no best choice, only the worst choice and this might be inaction. The truth is that even the worst choice (let's say adopting bash ;-) is better than none: scripting language is one of the few available avenues of addressing the feature creep problem .

The other solution might be exposing API and introducing a FAR-style plug-ins mechanism, although they have their own problems and having a two dozens or more of them installed lead to "overcrowding of the kitchen". But technically this is as simple as introducing plug-in menu in addition to the user menu or option to call a plug-in in the user menu.

I would agree with your point that Perl might be a more "politically correct" candidate due to its very wide appeal to system administrators. It probably provides the best opportunity to enlarge the community of mc developers and users. As the success of vim-Perl, myperl and plperl had shown in VIM, MySQL and Postgress development communities, respectively, any product that adopts Perl as a scripting language instantly enjoys some additional share of developers and users.

Guile is essentially "TCL on steroids" or "TCLized Scheme" so, while like Perl it is capable to separate the core development and extensions development, the fact that it's Lisp-based means that it is does not has the appeal of Perl and probably will be *less* appreciated by the current userbase (outside hard-core Emacs hackers crowd). In this sense it's equal to S-lang.

Both Perl and Guile are definitely more complex and labor-consuming undertakings that adopting S-lang, so pro and contra issues need to be weighted by resources available for any such implementation.

Anyway, the earlier the decision is made and the transition plan outlined, the easier is to fight feature creep and clean the codebase. As Emacs demonstrated to the world long ago, a scripting language provides the natural separation of core functionality and user extensions. Moreover some non-essential, but man-power hungry features can be temporary suspended or even removed with the promise to be later reincarnated in the form of scripts.

If the recent crisis, that you resolved by stepping in, is any indication about the future, a large pure-C open-source implementation like mc might not be sustainable due to the level of complexity and those of them, which cannot not attract enough resources need either to scale down of face the possibility of extinction. Just because the pool of really knowledgeable C developers is shrinking and they are in fact pretty close to becoming an endangered specie. We all like free lunch but somebody needs to heat it even if the food is free ;-)

That's why making this decision and taking some steps now, when the mc development is clearly revitalized because of your efforts is, in my opinion, so important.

Best Regards,

Dr. Nikolai Bezroukov