Re: A proposal for Midnight Commander

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 20:18, Rob Ristroph wrote:
> Ali> http://www.akcaagac.com/index_atlantis.html
>
> Your site is giving a connection refused error.

Yes figured that out myself. It looks like my buddy who hosts me on his
server is going to have some maintainance on it. I bet it will be back
online in a couple of hours.

> I like the current mc, and I think it is going in the right
> direction in general.

Yes if you speak about cleaning it up, removing dead code, replace
broken parts with new ones. Then I fullheartly agree here. But what
benefits do we have if we can't really pariticpate to this project ?
There is a bugreporting system, a mailinglist, but basically proposals
we raise are going to /dev/null.

> It looks interesting. In the cursory inspection I just gave it,
> I was only able to compile it in the --with-included-slang
> configuration. Compiling with -Os and stripping, with options as
> close to what I used in mc 4.6 as possible, I get an executable of
> 4.51 MB, while my mc 4.6 executable is 3.98 MB. I fiddled with the
> config options and recompiled it three times. Basically, it
> reminds me of mc 4.1 which would not allow me to turn off enough
> options to fit it on a floppy system.

;------------ w/o gpm, undelext2 + stripped
galaxy ulixys:~ > ls -l /tmp/s/mc-4.1.40-pre8/src/mc
651856 Nov 14 20:39 /tmp/s/mc-4.1.40-pre8/src/mc
;------------

whereas my 4.6.0 version

;------------ normal configure && make && make install
galaxy ulixys:~ > ls -l /usr/local/bin/mc
670013 Nov 12 01:15 /usr/local/bin/mc
;------------

I must admit the differences aren't that big for a more improved version
like the 4.6.0. That's definately not my worries either. I am only stuck
with the problematic of the glib dependency.

> However, I think it is good that multiple groups are maintaining
> different versions of mc.

Maybe it's possible to hook on at the 4.1.40 development of mcMP after
all the maintainer made some cleanups by removing stuff no one really
wants in mc, as written the GNOME stuff, TK, X. There is a lot of room
to improve (even in size). I don't really know. On the one hand I like
to follow mainstream, I do like mc460 but the glib issue gave me many
more times problems than just one time.

I will continue keeping an eye on both projects.