Re: Viewer syntax highlight

Hello!

Please don't cross-post your messages to both mailing lists.

> Does anyone know whether someone is planning to implement syntax
> highlighting in the builtin viewer?

As far as I know, nobody is working on that.

> I think it would be a very good feature (viewing source files this way
> would be much better) Of course you can use the editor for this but what
> if you accidentaly mess it up and save ;)

The viewer can work with very large files.  Syntax highlighting in the
form in which it's implemented in the editor could make loading such files
very slow.

I think it would be more useful to have a read-only mode in the editor.
Once it works well, the existing viewer code could be replaced with the
read-only editor.  The problem is that the viewer also has a hex editor,
and some users will miss it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin