Re: links in man2hlp

Pavel Roskin wrote:
Hello!

I tried this to get punctuation marks out the link references
avoiding extra spaces (ala .BR or .IR). The best idea I got
was using "\&" as separator because it seems to have no side
effects for groff in the man page. I read something about
"\&" preventing kerning between characters but that doesn't
seem anything to worry about.

Another possible solution is .\" at the same line in .\"LINK2

Please show the examples.

.\"LINK2"
Layout\&).
.\"Layout"

Layout should be highlighted, but ). - no.
\& really is best, and no need to provide .\"LINK3". BTW, we need something like README.man2hlp for translators. These people have not to be programmers and have not time to read man2hlp.c.

Well, who can explain me is doublequotes required in
.I "\-b"
? I removed all of these '"' in the Russian manual, and I can't see difference after groff -mandoc ...

Also "Active VFS list", "Free VFSs now", "Menu ediTor edit", "Syntax file edit" from Command menu are not documented in manual, as far as "Charset Conversion".

Is there anyway to get the date into the help/groff files?
I (me again :) wanted to complete the header and the footer
(in .TH at the head of the file). @VERSION@ seems to do the
job for the version (like @prefix@) in mc.1.in.

Why do you want to put the date automatically?  What's the point in having
any date in the manual if the date is updated automatically?  Updating it
by hand would be an extra requirement for the maintainers who edit the
manual.

Am I missing something?  Is the date required?

Sometimes it is so, but manual is not the case.

--
Regards,
Andrew V. Samoilov