executable scripts in /tmp

Hi Folks,

mc currently writes executable scripts into /tmp.

I think this is something that should generally be avoided.

On my pokey little server I have /tmp mounted noexec because
I am paranoid.

Why, since ~/.mc/tmp exists, and is used by mc anyway, doesn't
mc just use ~/.mc/tmp for everything?

I have patched it to do this (by editing mc.ext and starting
mc with "/usr/bin/env TMPDIR=~/.mc/tmp") and it works splendidly
this way.  Of course the proper fix simply requires replacing
TMPDIR with HOME/.mc/tmp in the right place(s).

Is there a reason it does not do this by default?

Should I submit a proper patch?

Inquiring minds want to gnow.

Phil
--
Phil Ehrens <pehrens ligo caltech edu>| Fun stuff:
The LIGO Laboratory, MS 18-34         | http://www.ralphmag.org