Re: mc-4.5.99a

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 12:24:58AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hi, Thomas!
>
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > One of the package porters noted that there were some bugs in mc (in the
> > ncurses configuration) which do not appear in the previous stable version.
> > Besides these fixes, I note that the mouse interface is broken (he was
> > complaining about a problem with the editor which I haven't seen yet).
> >
> > The attached patch fixes resizing (perhaps I'll come back to this after lynx).
>
> I don't quite understand the situation.  Is it your patch or somebody

mine (I didn't see the contact address in the readme, so I looked in the
changelog to see who would be a good contact).

> elses?  I don't want to credit wrong people.  The patch seems to be good,
> but since there is no detailed comment, I must spent more time checking
> it.

There was more than one problem with resize:

	a) the missing $ncurses_version caused resizeterm to not be found.

	b) checking a report that mc didn't use the whole screen when setting
	   xterm font to "Unreadable", I noticed that mc died when I made the
	   screen very large.  That was a buffer-overflow problem when the
	   screen width was wider than 1024. (screen.c)

	c) while debugging for the former bug, I tried using gdb with
	   ElectricFence.  But that didn't work.  The problem was that
	   mc's sigwinch handler was calling resizeterm, which performs
	   malloc's, etc., which essentially hung the process.  That was
	   probably leftover from my first patch in 1997 or 1998.  So
	   I ifdef'd out the (unnecessary) call.  (layout.c)

	d) before that ("c" took some work ;-), I found that mc was treating
	   the resize event as a SIGTSTP.  That was fixed by the ifdef in
	   key.c

> Please use the mailing list mc-devel gnome org next time.
>
> Lost ncurses_version is indeed a problem, but I've applied a more
> elaborate fix.  I've applied all other patches as well.
>
> Thank you!

no problem.  When is the next version to be completed?  (So I know to come
back and fix the mouse, if needed, before then).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey invisible-island net>
http://invisible-island.net