Re: [BUG(?)] Cannot learn keypad symbols in mc-4.6.0-pre2

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> > I am unable to "learn" keypad's '+', '-', and '*' in Linux console via
> > 'Options-->Learn keys' menu, while working under conventional user
> > account. (Although the keys work as expected).
>
> I think the keys work as expected if the command line is empty.
>
> Run this command and type keypad plus, minus and asterisk.
> echo -ne '\e[?1h\e='; dd
>
> Either you get the keys as is or you get escape sequences.  Try it both as
> root and as the normal user.  I have no idea why it happens, but at least
> we'll know on which "side" it happens.

Well, we're late a bit...
Between the e-mail messages I've rebooted my machine, plus played a bit
with "Learn keys" dialog. So, now I see that the problem is somehow
disappeared. Presently, the output of dd command is the same for root
and normal user:
--- cut ---
^[Ol
^[OS
^[OR
0+3 records in
0+1 records out
--- cut ---

If I'll encounter the same problem again, I'll immediately capture an
output of the dd command. By the way, could you explain what does this
"echo -ne '\e[?1h\e='" mean? mc stops understanding of arrow keys after
the command.

> Note that you can always use Alt with the key to force the group
> operation.

Sorry,
With what key? And what is "group operation"?

May be I'm asking a silly questions, then just point me to
documentation. Quick search in Google has not showed me any
meaningful results.

P.S.

Just found how to reproduce the described problem:
mc, Ctrl-O, mc, F9, 'Options->Learn keys', keypad's +-*.

May be this was the source of my issue. I should be more accurate before
rporting bugs. The type of user account is of no importance here, and
may be this not a bug.
Anyway, it looks confusing when second (inner) mc reacts on keypad's +-*
as usual, but can't learn the keys via "Learn keys" dialog.

...Bye..Dmitry.