RE: Proposed syntax for key sequences

Hello!

> Actually, we are interested in the sequences in the
> application keypad mode, so I was wrong.  It makes the
> difference for xterm, but not for rxvt.  Please try this
> command instead of dd:
>
> echo -ne '\e[?1h\e='; dd

Left: ^[OD
Ctrl-Left: ^[[D
Shift-Left: ^[OD
Alt-Left: ^[^[OD

> > Left: ^[[D
> > Ctrl-Left: ^[OD
> > Shift-Left: ^[[D
> > Alt-Left: ^[^[[D

> This is completely different from the Xterm Control Sequences
> specification: ^[[ (CSI) should be used in the normal mode and
> ^[O (SS3) in the application mode, regardless of modifiers.

> In fact, Ctrl-arrows on putty conflict with normal arrows on xterm,
> not with Shift-arrows as I wrote in the previous message.

As you write, not really, because there is a swith at putty's
configuration: "Initial state of cursor keys: Normal / Application". You
can set it as you want, the default is Normal. As I set it to
Application, the normal dd works as with the echo.

> I think the best thing you can do it to ask putty developers to
implement
> xterm specification for the arrow keys.  You can even try it yourself.
It looks like, that they did it, and it works well, just not the
application mode the default.

> I'm not going to add any hacks to identify putty.
I totally agree, and we don't need it, too.

Summarizing above, it seems that putty is correct, but mc still not
works for me. :)

Bye,
  Andras