Re: extfs: make the open_archive stat() optional

Hi!

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Your patch derives the properties of the filesystem from the existence of
> a file with a certain name.  That the wrong approach.  The properties of
> an extfs filesystem are encoded in the corresponding script.

The correct way would be to ask the script if it needs to test the archive
existence...

> What if the archive disappears for some other reason?  What if the archive
> name is used in an "archiveless" filesystem and that file happens to
> exist?

Right.

> The right solution would be to avoid mc_stat() in the "archiveless"
> filesystems.

OK, I'll prepare such patch for you.

> By the way, please don't use C++ comments in C code.

Oh, sorry about that.

> Answering your other e-mail, that's an example how to split the drive name
> from path using sed:

Well, I know shell programming.... I just don't know how to get the path
to fetch the drive name from. mc does not send me this to the script and
you have said that there is a way. I wonder which way to go...

regards

STan