Re[2]: Alternate character set for line-drawing

Hello, Pavel!

Sunday, August 18, 2002, 6:10:00 PM, you wrote:

>> If I'm not going in the wrong way (I dont have all the necessary
>> knowldege on the topic), is there a way to switch to alternate
>> character set without additional coding ?

PR> Yes, if you want to do it completely without coding, you can dump the
PR> terminfo entry for your terminal by "infocmp", then remove capabilities
PR> "acsc", "enacs", "rmacs" and "smacs" and recompile the entry by tic.

PR> An approach with very little coding would be to fill acs_map with
PR> ASCII approximations.  I'm a bit unsure if it's safe to write into acs_map
PR> on all operating systems with all reasonably new versions of ncurses.

PR> It is also possible to extend the existing code from the PC port (look for
PR> acs2pc_table) to use out own map, but it would require massive changes.

PR> I think I'll rewrite acs_map and enable "-a" for ncurses.  Users will find
PR> out if it works for them.

I wasn't requesting a new feature :) The post was inspired by mail
I've received from a user of MC on Cygwin - asking why there is no
'-a' option.

I did some investigation and I was under the impression that if the
option is not there, there should be an already existing way to do so.
I read some docs on terminfo and I thought that by pressing some
key-sequces one can get what he wants - i.e. alternate graphic chars.

I also found the acs_map and thought about rewriting it.

Since this is not a showstopper issue I can try and code it by myself - as a
coding experience ;)

Thanks!

Pavel Tsekov