couldn't change to

Hi,
I'm getting the subj error when changing dirs in MC.
I've looked in the mailing archives, but couldn't find any reasonable
solution. I'm running tcsh and I saw references to switiching to bash so
that the problem will go away. Obviousely switching shell is not an
option.
Looks like the problem comes from subshell.c:797

if (subshell_alive && strcmp (subshell_cwd, cpanel->cwd) && strcmp (cpanel->cwd, "."))

this happens for my home directory, because
cd /; ls -l /home
1998 home@ -> /usr/home

So cpanel->cwd is "/usr/home/meshko" and shell says that I'm in "/home/meshko"

Shouldn't realpath(3) be used in this comparison to avoid problems like this?
Or is there an obvious fix I'm missing?
TIA