Re: Patch to reduce usage of tempnam()

Hi, Andrew!

> Patch looks good, but it is really bad idea to cache location of tmpdir.

Ok, by popular request I'm applying the patch without tmpdir caching.

> As for me it should be fine to write some code to add possibility for
> changing $TMPDIR on the fly. Not all of us are system administrators, so
> it be really good doesn't restart mc when there isn't enough free space in
> /tmp.

I know that MC is the biggest consumer of the /tmp space on all my
systems. Restarting MC is not a big deal, but having a separate directory
for temporary files would be nice. Maybe I'll add support for MC_TMPDIR.

> : The difference is that mc_mkstemps creates the template for you and even
> : adds the directory name (/tmp or $TMPDIR if set). It can be changed to
> : call the native mkstemps if it's available.
>
> This one is declared as
>     int mkstemps(char *template, int suffixlen)
> on FreeBSD.

I know. It also exists on OpenBSD. It's also implemented in libiberty,
part of gcc and binutils, but it's not in glibc 2.2 for some reason. I'll
try to use it if possible.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin