Re: Press releases

As a journalist, I have to say that the best press release combines
Claus notes with all its lenghts with some improvements taken from
Corey's notes in the first paragraphs.

Press releases explaining something interesting have a default size of 1
printed page. Should be started by a title a journalist can just opy and
paste. Should contain in the first paragraph all the elements we want to
have included even in the shortest brief published. In fact, the first
paragraph is frequently just copy&pasted if it's well written, in a
journalist fashion instead of PR self-promotion style.

About the size again, the most important is to have a very well
structured press release: you put *everything relevant* in the first 1-2
paragraphs, from that point most mass media journalists won't even read
more (unless you are a strong brand like Microsoft or the Prime
Minister, sending press releases all the time and forcing interested
journalists reading until the end). You use subheaders (easy to copy &
paste too) to identify clearly any new piece of information you provide.
This way you can reach the 2 A4 printed pages without big fear.

The quotes are needed and must be done by someone a journalist clearly
identifies as an authority (even if we don't like authorities): the
release manager, the GNOME Foundation chairman and, if needed,
coordinators of projects are the clearest speakers here. Quotes don't
show only "the human side", they also provide a material jornalists can
use that looks like more 'unique' to the readers. You put a quote in
your news story and it gives the vague impression that the journalist
did something else than just copy a press release. Of course, the quotes
need to say something interesting, not just 'how great we are' style
sentences. Quotes should sound like said by an expert - and we are
experts in GNOME.

About the fact of copying "About GNOME" from release to release, we
would need to improve and update this paragraph too, since GNOME evolves
every six months. For instance, I would add a mention to the fact that
the free GNOME technology is being increasingly used in mobile devices
by Nokia and Palm Source.

Also, it is important to provide a link to screenshots and GNOME artwork
stating that media can use this graphic material freely, and we
encourage them to do so. GNOME is beauty, GNOME screenshots and artwork
may help a news story look beautiful. The average journalist is used to
be careful when using graphics from other parties due to licensing
trouble, and none of them go and see the terms and conditions. Just the
fact of being able to reuse graphic material may bring a news story to a
bigger coverage instead of being thrown in a column.

Some more specific comments:

> The GNOME Project is please to announce the release of the latest
> version of the GNOME Desktop and Developer Platform, the leading
> desktop for Linux and Unix operating systems.

- the leading
+ the popular free

(this goes in the line of our collaboration with KDE and our common
attempt to promote the "free desktop" brand as somethign to be
identified by the mass media and the big public)

> Version 2.14 improves
> the usability, power and performance of GNOME in response to user
> feedback and developer contributions, and includes thousands of
> changes to refine the easiest and friendliest free software desktop.

Note that at the end of this paragraph I have no clear item to pick and
build a header of it. Claus' first paragraph is easier to pick for
journalists.

> Some the key new features:
>
>  * The creation of an admin suite. including a lock down editor,
> Pessulus, and a user profile editor, Sabayon.
>  * A new search bar, called Deskbar, which can search through local
> files, programs and contacts as well as on the web
>  * Ekiga, a VOIP client which can now talk SIP, used by Google Talk,
> Asterisk and others. Ekiga was formerly known as GnomeMeeting
>  * The ability to switch users quickly, without logging off
>  * Even easier configuration
>  * Performance work, making your desktop even snappier.

This list rocks as second paragraph, the rest of Claus' notes could be
organised following this list, having a copypastable subheader for each
item.

> For more detailed information about the great new features of GNOME
> 2.14, please see the 2.14 release notes at
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/C/index.html
>
> To get GNOME 2.14 for your favourite flavour of Linux, BSD, Solaris or
> Unix, please see our Getting Footware page at
> http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/footware.shtml

I would delete this and put Claus paragraphs instead. In any case, in a
press release we need to put shorter URLs like
http://www.gnome.org/start/ , avoid something like a "~" very few users
and journalists are going to be able to type if found in a piece of
paper, a have only corporate elements (no "davyd" in a URL).

> GNOME 2.14 Released
>
> New version introduces new administration suite and improves performance.

What about

GNOME 2.14 released with a new administration suite and strong
performance improvements

> BOSTON, Mass

BOSTON (Massachussets, USA)

The GNOME Project today released the latest version of the popular GNOME
Desktop...

I really like this first paragraph. However, I would

- the popular GNOME Desktop
+ its popular free desktop

A mention to Linux/UNIX in this paragraph would also be useful, since it
point all journalists in the right direction ("GNOME" or "free" alone
doesn't).

Quotes from the release manager and the GNOME Foundation chairman would
go in a paragraph in this introduction, possibly a second one, before
Corey's bullet list.

A mention to "A detailed and comprehensive list of improvements of GNOME
2.14 can be found in the release notes <link>" would be appreciated by
journalists wanting to know quickly more. Plus screenshots, as said.

The rest of Claus' notes work fine, only adding those copypasteable
subheaders for each element.

Only:

- Developers and advanced users wishing to install the GNOME 2.14
Desktop and Developer Platform now may download the software at
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/

+ Developers and advanced users wishing to try and install GNOME 2.14
may download a LiveCD or the development software at
http://gnome.org/start/2.14/

> Please direct press inquiries to gnome-press-contact gnome org

What about

Check http://gnome.org/press/ to find your nearest press contact. You
may also contact us at press gnome org

--