[Fwd: Re: GnomeWeb : software map]

Simon Rozet has started working on the
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/SoftwareMap 2.16 goal. He has created
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/SoftwareMapDraft and I've suggested to
merge it with the previous one to avoid confusion.

Simon was introduced by Vincent Untz months ago -
http://www.vuntz.net/journal/2006/04/20/377-doap-love-and-software-map -
and he has been working already on a DOAP based GNOME software map:
http://atonie.org/gnomesoftwaremap/

Forwarding to the list this email from him, in which he also advocates
for Django for the CMS goal.

--- Begin Message ---

I just did that : http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/SoftwareMapDraft

> Keep in mind that "picking a goal" doesn't mean you need to do
> everything. It means that you are officially responsible of that task,
> and you coordinate the effort to achieve it.
>
> It is obvious that you are a very good candidate for leading the GNOME
> Software Map development. Thank you for your interest and I hope you
> decide to join the GnomeWeb team.  :)

Thank you for your confidence ! I'll leading the GNOME
Software Map development with pleasure.

Not GNOME Software Map related :
================================

I think Django [1] is a good choice for the CMS. Yes, that's a
framework, not a CMS. But take a look at the tutorial [2] and the docs
[3].
With something like :

  from django import models

  class Reporter(models.Model):
      first_name = models.CharField(maxlength=30)
      last_name = models.CharField(maxlength=30)
      email = models.EmailField()

  class Article(models.Model):
      headline = models.CharField(maxlength=100)
      pub_date = models.DateField()
      reporter = models.ForeignKey(Reporter)

an sexy admin interface is auto-generated and you can created/update/delete an article/reporter.

I think Django can be a very good friend in WGO's development. But, you know, that's only my humble opinion !
You can also read http://jeffcroft.com/2006/jul/14/django-admin-your-php-app/

Good night!

PS : Please excuse my (very) bad English. My native language is French.

[1]: http://www.djangoproject.com/
[2]: http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial1/
[3]: http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/