Buzz measurement with Blogs

Hi,

A long time back Sri asked about using blogs to measure "buzz": bearing mind that blogs are a small microcosm.  I do this a fair amount and find the icerocket trends graphic really useful.  Here's one to measure GNOME, KDE and linux desktop over 3 months:

http://trend.icerocket.com/trend?query1=gnome+linux+OR+gnome+desktop&label1=&query2=kde+linux+OR+kde+desktop&label2=&query3=linux+desktop&label3=&days=90

You can of course do stuff like GNOME rules vrs GNOME sucks:

http://trend.icerocket.com/trend?query1=%22gnome+rules%22+linux+OR+%22gnome+rulez%22+linux&label1=&query2=%22gnome+sucks%22+linux&label2=&query3=&label3=&days=90

It's pretty hard to tune the search for GNOME the desktop rather than for the fabled animal, I used:
"gnome rules" linux OR "gnome rulez" linux  VERSUS "gnome sucks" linux

It's not fool poof but is a general indicator and helps you find posts you can respond to.  For example it turns out that someone's been blogging about things that sucks in GNOME but is a GNOME contributor and another that "gnome sucks" less memory now.

You can also build watch lists on pubsub.com, it seems to have the most sources but gets spammed a lot.

Regards,

Steve