Re: wgo use cases

El dt 22 de 08 del 2006 a les 13:21 +0200, en/na Claus Schwarm va
escriure:

> However, if you tried to make the most important item bold and you
> ordered them first, why are the bold items not all on top?
>
> The bold stuff makes the list nearly unreadable.

Bold items tried to refer to those use cases relevant to more than one
profile. "How is the GNOME structured" is a use case for almost all the
audiences, but not necessarily an important use case for each audience.

I tried to catch the basic profile for each use case and put it bold,
instead of listing it every time. It didn't work, there is no more bold
use cases now. I have numbered the lists.

> And this is a pity
> since there are some quite strange items. For example, is useful to
> assume that *Free Software users* will ask what a Live CD is? I don't
> think so.

Moved to non-free software users.

> This is also a pity because it would be worth discussing whether some of
> these items should be satiesfied by wgo

Not all the use cases need to be concluded in wgo, but all of them need
to be clearly addressed there. http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/WgoScope
says that wgo is also a gateway to the relevant GNOME subsites. Any use
case of that list needs to be either satisfied by wgo or by a
page/subsite linked from wgo.

> : For example, is it imaginable
> that somebody from the public sector asks: "How do I encourage the
> adoption of GNOME within my organization?" and then believes to find the
> answer on wgo?

Perhaps not on wgo, but if someone has this problem it is very likely
that she will go to GNOME to find answers. In UseCases we define the
existence of this case, the partitioning and the wgo page structure will
decide the corresponding path.

As you know I'm for a small and efficient wgo, many of the use cases
listed would probably find their final answer out of wgo.

> (2) Is there really someone like this? Or can we assume that somebody
> like this is able to search a mailing list or the forum or the
> marketing pages in the wiki?

Yes, there are people in the public sector asking themselves questions
like this. In the public sector the decisions are made generally by
people that didn't push the item to the agenda, therefore we need to
help powerless bureaucrats, consultants and local enthusiasts putting
the item on the agenda.

I don't expect decision-makers, IT managers or free software enthusiasts
with a foot in a public administration to find such answers in mail
archives, forums threads or wiki pages. In fact, I don't think we are
currently giving ideas about "How do I encourage the adoption of GNOME
within my organization?" anywhere.

>  If it's more of a manager type he
> will asked the geek nearby about the background stuff anyway. So we
> should drop it from our use case list.

Public administrations generally have a small group of people inside
that need to convince the bosses, who have no idea, not much interest,
not much time to spend and no clue about technical details. These
insiders look for materials, reports, news in the media... anything that
could help them getting this issue on the top of the political agenda.

Chances that a local geek is not enough to succeed in this quest are
high. A local geek doesn't necessarily know the process that made
Extremadura or Andalucía or Macedonia or etc adopt massively free
software and make GNOME a key part of their strategy. A local geek
doesn't necessarily know how a public administration works, what are
they interested to hear about. In fact we know that LUGs and
administrations speak different languages and they quite often don't
understand each other. GNOME could help both collaborating in better
ways, providing answers and materials that interest both.