scrolling (was: gnome app pages (was confusingly Gnome Software Map))

--- Gergely Nagy <greg gnome hu> wrote:
> Quim, and Gazim was it? "Not scrolling" is soo
> overrated. Screen sizes
> (and windows sizes!) are not uniform, so there is no
> way of avoiding
> scrolling. (To rant a bit, I hate designs which
> impose too much
> structure on a web page. It might look cool on the
> designer's mac, but
> as soon as you change font size, or resize the
> window so you don't have
> to strain your eyes on miles long lines the whole
> layout blows up in
> your face. I hope the new wgo will not do this...)

Agreed.
There is no way to know what width the user has his
browser at.
For example, I have a high desktop resolution, but my
browser window is usually about half to 2/3 of the
full width of my screen -- because it's easier to read
short lines of text than long ones.
We can *aim* to avoid scrolling, on an average display
with default font size, but no more.
One thing we should have however is a fluid design --
one where the width is not forced on the user, that
flows into any size of window.