Re: WGO : GNOME Software Map

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 13:06 +0200, Simon Rozet wrote:
> I am in charge off the GNOME Software Map. I wrote a draft [1] on the
> wiki but I need your opinion about what I wrote to start.
> [1]: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/SoftwareMap

Hi,

Looks like a good start! Here are my thoughts:

Organization
------------
I suggest to place application pages under the URL
http://www.gnome.org/apps/$appname/ -- note, that it's a folder for each
app. I see no reason to put categories in the URL. BTW I don't like the
current /projects/ name.

The $appname should be canonical (e.g. from svn name or package name),
so it is easy to guess.

Also, under /apps/ we can (and IMHO should) have as many categorizations
as we want. For example /apps/list can be an alphabetical (or sorted
anyhow) list of apps, /apps/menu could be arranged as in the panel now,
etc.

/apps/ can be the entry page with some intro, access to the
categorizations, and perhaps a search interface. Also, links to other sw
maps can appear there. This page could even feature some app or another
when there is some cool feature added, or something.

For big compound apps (like gnome-games) we could set up redirects, e.g.
from /apps/mahjongg to /apps/gnome-games/mahjongg? Any thoughts on that?
Perhaps redirects like /apps/filemanager/ to nautilus? What's the policy
on hiding appnames? For Average Joe it's not trivial to find out that
the file manager is nautilus or the movie player is totem...

While I agree with MurrayC the current list is not yet complete, it's a
good starting point, and we can make it more complete as we go along.

Content of the app pages