Revamped of GNOME.org

To the Marketing-List,

There has been a lot of debate about the wording used at the Gnome.org Mock-up.

One of these is whether we should use the term ‘Free Software’ of the more common ‘Open Source’.

‘Free software’ is the correct term (with the term ‘Free Software’ predating the term ‘Open-Source’) for the GNOME project according to the current site and the licence that GNOME uses.

To find out a bit more visit http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.

A note for those of you that want the wording of ‘Linux’ changed to ‘GNU/Linux’ on the Mock-up homepage, I am considering changing this, but since the distributions of GNOME are things like: ‘Red Hat Linux’, ‘Ubuntu Linux’, ‘Tao Linux’ and ‘beatrIX Linux’ I think we should use the term ‘Linux’ as it more common. Btw. There are exceptions like ‘Debian GNU/Linux’ and ‘BLAG GNU and Linux’ but if I referred to these as ‘Linux’ you would still know what I mean rather than me referring to — say — ‘Ubuntu Linux’ as ‘Ubuntu GNU/Linux’.

You may disagree with me and I am willing to listen to other points of view on any of these topics or any other problems/suggestions that you may have about the GNOME.org mock-up.

Btw. At the GNOME.org mock-up the home page uses the terms ‘Free Software’ and ‘Linux’.

The Mock-up — as per its name — is still in the Drafting stage.

Thanks,

Hugh Buzacott.

Reply to address: Hugh Buzacott gmail com

If you don’t know the address of the mock it is at http://www.geocities.com/bzctt/. I am just moving it from html tables to CSS so it may look a bit odd while I iron out the problems.