Re: GNOME 2.12 Live CD contains beta packages + suggestion

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 14:31 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Op Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:27:50 +0200, schreef Jaap Haitsma:
>
> > some are heavily patched with features (E.g. the "Add To Panel" dialog)
> > which are not present in stock gnome.
>
> I already suggested to revert that customization to the default in a
> mail to Marcus, not in the least because the dialog you mention is not
> translated (at least in Dutch it isn't), and GNOME translations are at 100%.

Let's keep in mind here that this is only the second iteration of the
GNOME liveCDs. We are still collecting experience here.

Currently it is based on ubuntu and ubuntu releases one month later thus
their CD is during the release of GNOME still under heavy development.
I'm investigating a bit into the direction of completly building the CD
instead of remastering the ubuntu one. But I'm not sure if that isn't
simply overkill. Building liveCDs from bottom up is kind of voodoo
magic ;)

As of now we have something that gets us 95% down the way and finally it
depends on the distributions to get GNOME on the harddisks. And all of
them apply their own customizations.

But what is really lacking here are beta testers. I hope that till the
next release we will have both - the infrastructure needed for testing
*and* enough testers. With that we shall be able to get much more i18n
and better conformity with GNOME.

Whoever wants to become a beta tester please write me an email with a
subject line kind of "me, me, me, me, me" :-)))
And you need _time_. Time to download and time to run every single
program from the menus. Every single development step results in two
hours testing. Really, I'm not joking here.

However any feedback is valuable :^)

Marcus