Re: "Start here" document for the live CDs

On 5/22/05, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
> On 5/22/05, Marcus Bauer <mbauer tiscali fr> wrote:
> >
> > We should have kind of a "start here" document for the desktop which we
> > can push over to the translation teams.
> >
> > My suggestions (to be discussed/extended)
> >
> > format: html
>
> I would guess (and we really need to ask the i18n people about this)
> that the right format is docbook, because:
>
>  * it can be translated with existing tools (xml2po)
>  * we can automatically generate nice pdfs for printing/distribution
> at conferences
>  * we can automatically generate HTML for the web if we need it
>  * in yelp, we have a more appropriate viewer than we do for HTML (or
> at least shaun told me that could be done :)
>
> > content:
> >
> >   * short marketing text: about gnome
> >     - free, easy, powerful, efficent etc. etc.
> >
> >   * where to get further info / online help, whom to contact
> >
> >   * success stories (100.000 desktops by spanish administration,
> >     500.000 by brasilian administration)
> >
> >   * some words about the shiniest apps (gimp, inkscape, abiword,
> >     gnumeric come to my mind)
> >
> > Please have a look what is already available on the english live CD
> > (Luis: could you give a pointer for an online source outside the CD?)
>
> There are two key ones on the liveCD:
> A general gnome project overview, which touches on a lot of the things
> you've discussed:
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/livecd-project/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/GNOME%20Project%20overview.abw
>
> a liveCD overview, to explain to people what to do with the liveCD,
> what to play with, etc.:
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/livecd-project/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/LiveCD%20Overview%20%28start%20here%21%29.abw
>
> This isn't quite as critical but it is still important.
>
> These are currently in abiword format, but I'm totally flexible about
> dumping that if someone wants to use abi's docbook export and clean it
> up so that we have a starting point. I wrote them in abi originally
> because I was under time pressure and wanted decent formatting, and
> didn't think I could do that quickly in docbook given how rusty my
> docbook is.

FWIW, i've commited a docbook version of the important one tonight:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/livecd-project/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/GNOME%20Project%20overview.dbk?view=markup

Lord knows the generated output is terrible, though, so we have to
figure out how to fix that, and I want to review/tighten the contents
before siccing the translators on it. But I figured this would be a
start.

HTH someone- patches accepted :)
Luis