something to consider when doing the next web revamping

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/stopthepresses_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000893246

[Talks about news sites, but probably relevant to us too- we should
analyze the logs :)

Has it really come to the point where significant numbers of people
who visit news sites bypass the home page? Well, listen to the
experience of the The Globe & Mail, Canada's national newspaper.
According to its Web site's editor, Angus Frame, 41% of
globeandmail.com visits now begin on non-hub pages (that is, all but
the home page and section pages such as Sports, Business, etc.). These
are site visitors who come to article pages via search engines, news
aggregators (like Google News), RSS feeds, news alerts, e-mail
newsletters, notes from friends, and the like.

Other news sites report similar user behavior. CSMonitor.com, the Web
site of the Christian Science Monitor, tracks only 23% of its
visitors' sessions coming in via the home page, with the rest entering
at the article level or other page. The Monitor's Joel Abrams notes
that "a shockingly high percentage of those sessions that start on a
story end on that story." He says, "For an upcoming redesign, we're
putting a lot of thought into [article-page design]. The Monitor, like
other news sites, is trying to recognize that other editors -- and
algorithms -- have become the gatekeepers to our reporting."