Re: more random brainstorming

On 5/19/05, Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Luis Villa a écrit :
> > More slogan braindumping:
> >
> > "GNOME: The Heart Of the Linux Desktop"
>
> Hm... basing our identity on a slogan which one of our ad board members
> (FSF) is clearly not going to like is probably not a good idea...

The FSF will be fine with it. It is only Richard who cares about that-
most of his own organization, when spoken to in private, thinks
Richard's bitching about GNU/L is immature and a losing cause.

> can we put "Free Desktop" or "Open Desktop" instead?

Open is just as offensive to the FSF, if not worse- other people in
the organization actually agree with that. I could see 'Heart of the
Free Desktop', though- it isn't quite as clear to outsiders, but still
impactful.

> Does that lose impact
> because we're no longer identifying ourselves as Linux software? I can
> also see a move to a Linux-centric moving us further away from Sun.

Honestly, I don't really care much what Sun thinks at this point. And
'Free' or 'Open' doesn't help us much there :)

Luis