Free press coverage for Gnome in Norway

*TO GNOME*

*Freecode* is a company in Norway and UK that supports and
promotes free-software to its many customers. We are currently working
on a software database containing all the software we recommend.

*Your software is going to be in our database.*

We will send out a press release soon promoting this database, and we are
also working on a summer campaign, which means we are sending out a Ubuntu
live cd to the *top 500 companies in Norway*. This live CD contains amongst other
things a link to this database.

We can not find all the information we need *to be able to promote
Gnome the way we feel it deserves*. It would be of great help to us, if
you could fill out the information missing, and send it back to this
address. It does not have to be a lot, and it is worth your time, as it helps customers in
Norway and UK to choose your software.

The current address to this database is

*http://freecode.deskmaster.com/software/
*

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

June Henriksen
Freecode

PS:
This is what we have on Gnome so far, feel free to add information or correct any mistakes:

Gnome

The GNOME desktop environment is an intuitive and attractive desktop for
end-users, users, and the GNOME development platform, an extensive
framework for building applications that integrate into the rest of the
desktop.

WHAT IS GNOME AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Gnome is a desktop environment relying on the GIMP toolkit (GTK+), a
toolkit that uses the GNU Lesser Public License (LGPL), a free software
license that allows software linking to it, such as applications written
for GNOME, to use any license. The GNOME desktop is written in the C
programming language.

WHY CHOOSE GNOME?
GNOME is the ideal choice for almost any purpose: GNOME is the desktop
of choice for industry leaders like IBM, HP, and Sun. Governments in
places as diverse as Kenosha, Wisconsin, in the US, Extremadura, Spain,
and Beijing, China, have selected GNOME for their desktops. With a large
number of users, and a wide range of vendors, you can be assured of
availability and support for a long time to come. GNOME is free, usable,
accessible, international and developer-friendly.

MATURITY AND STABILITY
The GNOME project was started in August 1997 by Miguel de Icaza and
Federico Mena to provide an alternative to KDE. The first stable version
was released in 1999.

SECURITY

SCALABILITY

INTEROPERABILITY
GNOME now runs on most Unix-like systems (*BSD variants, AIX, IRIX,
HP-UX), and in particular it has been adopted by Sun Microsystems as the
standard desktop for its Solaris platform, replacing the ageing CDE. Sun
Microsystems has also released a business desktop under the name Java
Desktop System — a SUSE Linux system base with a GNOME desktop. There is
also a port of GNOME to Cygwin, allowing it to run on Microsoft Windows.

CODE QUALITY
Any contributor to GNOME is eligible for membership. Although it is
difficult to specify a precise definition, a contributor generally must
have contributed to a non-trivial improvement of the GNOME Project.
Contributions may be code, documentation, translations, maintenance of
project-wide resources, or other non-trivial activities which benefit
the GNOME Project.

DEVELOPMENT TEAM
August 2000 the GNOME Foundation was set up to deal with administrative
tasks, press interest and to act as a contact point for companies
interested in developing GNOME software. The foundation, while not
directly involved in technical decisions, does coordinate releases and
decide which projects will be part of GNOME.

UPDATES
They release stable updates about two times a year.