Re: marketing resources

Thanks, Robert!

Useful links. After searching a little bit, I found this one very
interesting:

http://www.adambosworth.net/archives/000026.html

To quote the main points:

" The real value in my opinion has moved from the software to the
information and the community.", and: " The platform of this decade
isn't going to be around controlling hardware resources and rich UI. Nor
do I think you're going to be able to charge for the platform per se.
Instead, it is going to be around access to community, collaboration,
and content."

Maybe I like it so much because it reflects my main assumption: User do
only care about content, and the means to process content.

Looking at GNOME from the "community, collaboration, and content"
perspective, it's rather dark:

 * Our community is splitted by several different communications
   channels: IRC channels, mailings lists, blogs, user forums, wikis,
   comments on footnotes and gnomefiles.org, and bugzilla, to count the
   main ressources.

 * Collaboration is thus not happening as much as it could be, IMHO. For
   example, developers of GTK-only apps are not equally promoted
   although they may be developers of GNOME apps tomorrow.

 * As a result, the content is spread across different web sites and
   addresses, partially outdated, sometimes just boring, and not easy to
   access.

But this is just my subjective perception. Any other opinions?

Claus