RE: university outreach project

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, John Williams wrote:

> > Re: the "marketing" vs "selling" issue.  It seems to me that the
> > marketing team doesn't have any tangible control over the
> > "product" (due
> > to its FOSS nature).  So this rules out what John calls marketing*.
> Sigh.  True.  I was hoping that the individuals involved in the
> marketing list (myself excluded of course) would be sufficiently
> integrated into the GNOME developer community (i.e. actually coding
> GNOME libraries and applications) that they could control the product.
>
> Again, my question is: Who does?  The GNOME foundation?  If not, who?

This is open source. Because contribution is purely voluntary without
financial consideration, the people who do the actual development work are
the only ones who have any real control. Of course, there will be leaders
and followers as in any group. Your best bet would be to convince the
leader-hackers that specific marketing goals are (a) important to them (b)
implementable.

-- Elliot
We're so busy putting out fires that we don't take time to stop kids from
playing with matches.