university outreach project

Re: the "marketing" vs "selling" issue.  It seems to me that the
marketing team doesn't have any tangible control over the "product" (due
to its FOSS nature).  So this rules out what John calls marketing*.

* as a refresher, John said the 'marketing attitude' is "if what we have
is not what they want, how can we change what we have?"

So, according to John's definitions, I think we are squarely in the
"selling" camp.  I'm fine with that.  (John, please correct me if I'm
wrong here).

Since we can't change what we have, I think the next question is "who
would want to 'buy' what we have, once they learn what we have?"

I think there is a large number of people that could and 'should' be
using Linux/Gnome today that aren't.  (This means people who's needs are
satisfied by FOSS and who decide they like it, after having tried it.)

Why aren't these people using Linux/Gnome yet?

A) they don't know it exists
B) they don't know how well it fits their needs
C) they want to, but don't know how to switch
D) they want to, but don't think they can switch without help
E) general laziness, fear, uncertainty, doubt, whatever.

It could be divided many ways, but I think this list is in the ballpark.

Let's forget group E, they would require more hand-holding than we can
deal with (not a very desirable group, anyway).

I think the LiveCD and/or live demonstrations could help address A
through D.

I agree with John and Claus that Universities would be a wonderful place
to focus our efforts.

While the LiveCD is still in the works, I'd like to start brainstorming
what a university outreach project might look like.

I imagine that to be taken seriously, we'd have to show the software.
This means one or more laptops or desktops set up on a table, preferably
with chairs.  We'd invite people to play with a lightly customized Gnome
desktop and showcase some of the many cool apps.

Two or three volunteers hang around, answer questions, and take notes!

I think we'd need a brochure for people to take away and also for the
non-social types to read.  I think it would make sense to have two
brochures, one for everyone, and an additional one for EE/CS majors.
Being able to hand out LiveCDs (especially if installable to HD) would
be a huge bonus here.

It might make sense to have a follow-up questionnaire.

Oh, and I've noticed that handing out candy is a cheap way to attract
participation. :)

I volunteer to help man a booth, if there is anyone who would join me.
I live in the Boston area, and there are plenty of schools around here:
MIT, Harvard, BU, Northeastern.

-Ian