Re: Marketing Plan -- draft

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:39:30 -0700
Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:

> I've written up an overall plan that kind of sets the structure up.
> It's designed to structure marketing into workable components.  I'd
> like people to take a look and help me improve upon it.

I like the suggestion, and would like to add a few remarks:

* After a longer IRC discussion with somebody in the gnome-de channel, I
   was pointed to a missing definition of what marketing is. This was
   very helpful, since it may reduce misunderstandings.

   Maybe it's helpful to note that there's are two versions, broadly
   speaking:
   1.) The classic version is the four P's: Price, Product, Place, and
        Promotion.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

   2.) Another version is basically marketing management:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing_management

  The wikipedia pages may also serve as a broad orientation for
  extending your plan.

* I usually prefer the classic version but in GNOMEs case the "Marketing
  as Management" version might be more helpful. Such a
  understanding may affect a lot of what GNOME is right now. Thus, it's
  maybe better to let the paper evolve into something like the GNOME
  Marketing Guidelines - the similarity to the Human Interface
  Guidelines is intended.

Claus