Re: Marketing list action: Market Research for GNOME and GNU/Linux

John,

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 08:09:21AM +1300, John Williams wrote:

> I can help construct surveys and questionnaires, analyse data etc.
> However I don't have access to funds to pay for things like printing,
> postage and data entry.  If there is a need for my services I would love
> to contribute.

I was wondering when you were going to speak up.  I was waiting. ;)  Glad
you didn't disapoint.  I'd love to see this kind of stuff.  As far as
printing, postage and data entry.  I believe thats not only a foundation
thing, but probably something that Red Hat and others should contribute to
as it directly gives them information that impacts their business.

Certainly cheaper than getting a marketing firm to do it.  I know you have
the background to come up with something to.

> [1] I mean: not based on secondary data, not "expert" opinion, not focus
> groups or small non-representative or non-random samples.  I suppose I
> mean large-scale primary research (mail-out self-completion
> questionnaires, mall intercepts, telephone interviews etc.).

This is probably an industry style approach that one would have to
rally all of FOSS to do.  I have no idea how to start something like that
except to have board members to approach the advisory board about
such an idea.  If there good, thorough plan, I think that might be good.
It'll be damn expensive unless it was all volunteer..

sri