Re: [GNOME-India] Re: About a presence at GNU/Linux Asia 2004

> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 05:36, Ravi Pratap M wrote:
> > >   Potential demo areas would be
> > >
> > >   0. GNOME l10n support
> > >   1. GNOME for the ordinary Suresh Das user
> > >   2. GNOME as a development platform (Glade/Anjuta/what not)
> >

> > 	I want to stress on #2 in particular here - I would even say we have a
> > separate computer meant for only those kind of demos. We could run XD2
> > with all the latest packages and show them how they can do everything
> > they want to using GNOME and Linux. OpenOffice is IMHO a pretty capable
> > piece of software so making people more aware of OO and its capabilities
> > vis-a-vis MS Office should be a priority.
>
> Yeah, I reckon #2 is a pretty good base to pitch from, which really
> happens to include #1 by default ;)

> Nat's been pushing the developer platform a lot more these days, with
> C#, Java, Python, C++ bindings all coming together. We could probably
> just mention that in passing, since I think the above is probably more
> important potentially - although it would be nice to encourage more
> platform/desktop hackers.

I'm with Nat on this.  See above.  I'd actually have more focus on it not
less.  Moving countries to free software starts with gaining good
mindshare.  Thats where we win.

> Usually GNOME booths show whatever they can organize in the given time -
> whether that's a stable vanilla GNOME, or a mixture of some of the newer
> things coming out with unstable development.

When I did the booth not many people really looked at the demo box because
it was very unfocused.  By this I mean that we didn't have a particular
item to show for GNOME 2.4 that requires a demo.  There should be targeted
demos to illustrate:

il8n
Accessibility
ease of use

The demos should be scripted.  It would be even cooler if we had a hacker
type to show how to write quick programs in python or something.  Anyways,
I'll stop there.  I'm starting to babble. :-)

sri