Re: shadowing libc

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Bruno Haible wrote:

> > But what I've been
> > thinking about was shadowing at run-time, i.e. LD_PRELOAD.  With
> > all the problems that such an approach has, at least it is an
> > step towards uniformity.
>
> LD_PRELOAD works only on glibc systems, on Solaris, and - under a different
> name - on Tru64. Not on the many other platforms that GNOME runs on.

BTW, on Windows I'm sure people would write a backend to exchange
locale data with the native database.  Maybe we should have a
backend interface from the beginning.  Don't know what it means,
but let's see, all of these have the same interface more or less:

  - mmap()able file

  - glibc mmap()able file

  - glibc source file

  - Windows backend (whatever the locale api provides, with
registry used for the rest)

  - gconf backend

See a pattern, right?

--behdad