Re: [sigc] Renaming nil

Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

1) I think for the 2.0 branch the rename should be done conditionally.
2) 'none' is fine and probably closer to the actual meaning of the definition than 'empty'.

Will do both. What should I do for the inline documentation though? It refers to 'nil' in many places. Should I just replace all occurences of 'nil' in the doc with 'nil (none if using an Objective-C compiler)'? Or should I just ditch any reference to 'nil' in the doc? After all, no client of the library should explicitly refer to 'nil', so why document it?

3) I don't know any reason why it should not be binary compatible.

Me neither. Ater closer inspection of the code, it seems that:

o The sigc::nil type is completely opaque (it is declared but not defined).

o It is just used as a placeholder for the compiler to be happy and have a constant number of arguments in templates.

o Other than that, there are no references to it (in particular nobody ever compare types using sigc::nil).

Thanks,
--
hpreg