[sigc] Handling signal loops

I'm wondering if anyone has come across a way to handle signal "loops" -
that is to say, if signal A is connected to signal B, and B to A, is
there any way to prevent emission of either from entering an infinite
loop?  I tried creating a custom accumulator, but discovered that a new
instance of the accumulator is created every time emit() is called.  I
know it sounds crazy, but I'd like to find a way to see that every
signal in a given loop gets called, then the loop is broken.

Many thanks!
Tim Shead