[sigc] Re: Draft #1, Proposal for standardization in C++ Library TR2

On Aug 4, 2005, at 11:17 AM, Carl Nygard wrote:

Sourceforge has been impossible for me to get through to, so in the
absence of being able to checkin to CVS, I include the draft doc with
some added text.  Mostly a summary of the existing practice, grabbed
from existing docs.  Also some issues noted, and a rough first attempt
at the Motivation.

I'm a better editor than writer, I think, so suggestions welcome.

Please notify me if Sourceforge stabilizes, in case it's a problem on my
end.

Sourceforge seems to be working fine for me; I've checked in your changes along with a few of my own. Mainly, I've tacked on a few things to the Boost.Signals summary where we've matched features with libsigc++2 (e.g., we've always been able to do signal-to-signal connections, and users requested slot blocking/unblocking which is now part of Boost.Signals).

I'll make some time later today to crunch through some draft-quality proposed wording (mainly based on the Signals docs and my superficial understanding of libsigc++2); that will probably show some design decisions I'm assuming we've made but we actually haven't :)

For instance, reading into the libsigc++2 section a bit, it looks like building a slot is very explicit. In Signals it's completely implicit: you only see slot<> types if you need to pass a function object through a non-templated function.

	Doug