Re: [sigc] Re: [gtkmm] libsigcx and gtkmm 2.4

Daniel Elstner wrote:

The problem is you need to lock before the data is being written.  And
mutexes don't ensure that event A happens after event B.  Mutexes ensure
that read/write A and read/write B don't happen at the same time, _and_
they issue memory barrier instructions to ensure memory visibility.

Hmm. Perhaps it would be better if you took a look at the code and told me where the problem is?

Remember, we're talking about thread synchronization.  This is not
something to be taken lightly.  Also note that nobody said that the
locked data has to be global; you can easily store it in an object
somewhere appropriate, or even put it into a queue.

I'm not taking it lightly. My point was that although you could technically accomplish the same thing without arguments, arguments is a pretty useful feature.

If you have similar code in perhaps hundreds of places doing similar things, then it would make sense to attempt to make a generic implementation of that pattern. Which is exactly what this is about.

--
Christer Palm