[sigc] Building libsigc++ from cvs

Martin Schulze wrote:

> James Lin wrote:
> > It took me some forcing to get libsigc++2 to build from
> > CVS (I'll ask you about that later)
>
> Yes, please, tell us about the problems that you encountered.
> Hopefully we can do something about it to simplify MSVC builds
> from cvs. I think we can lead that discussion on the mailing
> list. Thanks for your efforts!

Well, I'm not that familiar with cvs or with Linux, so I probably am doing
something wrong.

On my RedHat 9 box, I followed the cvs directions from the libsigc++ website.
I then did:

aclocal
autoconf
automake

(aclocal 1.6.3, autoconf 2.57. automake 1.6.3)

automake reported the following:

configure.ac:25: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not
`AC_CONFIG_HEADER'
configure.ac: required file `./install-sh' not found
configure.ac: required file `./mkinstalldirs' not found
configure.ac: required file `./missing' not found
configure.ac:28: required file `./config.guess' not found
configure.ac:28: required file `./config.sub' not found
aclocal.m4:811: required file `./ltmain.sh' not found
examples/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found

Where am I supposed to get these files?  They don't appear in cvs.  Am I
supposed to generate them?

I ended up copying the files from the release version of libsigc++ 2.0.3 and
reran automake.  I ran the configure script and got the following error:

./configure: line 8310: syntax error near unexpected token
`SIGC_CXX_MSVC_TEMPLATE_SPECIALIZATION_OPERATOR_OVERLOAD'
./configure: line 8310:
`SIGC_CXX_MSVC_TEMPLATE_SPECIALIZATION_OPERATOR_OVERLOAD()'

Lines 8310-8314 in configure consist of:

SIGC_CXX_GCC_TEMPLATE_SPECIALIZATION_OPERATOR_OVERLOAD()
SIGC_CXX_MSVC_TEMPLATE_SPECIALIZATION_OPERATOR_OVERLOAD()
SIGC_CXX_OPERATOR_OVERLOAD_AMBIGUITY()

Commenting out any two of the three allowed the configure script to proceed
to completion.  From there I edited sigc++config.h.in to set the necessary
preprocessor definitions to get libsigc++ to build on Linux.

(Once that was done, I could make the appropriate changes to sigc++config.h
to build with MSVC.  Building with MSVC pretty much requires building
libsigc++ first on Linux (or in cygwin or mingw/msys environments), since
many of the header files are generated from the scripts.)

- James