Re: GUADEC Sponsorship price increases

tor, 11 01 2007 kl. 10:47 +0100, skrev Dave Neary:
> Hi,
>
> Paul Cooper wrote:
> >> For the company, here's my two cents: you will need a bank account
> >> to receive money locally. I'd recommend against it being a private
> >> bank account. You will need to be very very careful about the tax
> >> implications (both for the structure you create, if any, in the UK,
> >>  and for the foundation). If possible, I would recommend that all
> >> money go through an account owned by GNOME-uk (if one exists). If
> >> you don't have one, then partnering with an association might be
> >> the easiest thing to do - say linux.org.uk?
> >
> > Gnome-UK doesn't have a bank account. The feeling amongst the
> > 'membership' seemed to be that one isn't needed (other than for
> > GUADEC) and not to bog down the community with the machinery  (an
> > elected Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, articles of membership)
> > needed to get a 'club and societies' account.
>
> Normally, I'd agree. I don't know your exact structure - but that kind
> of structure should come after the need presents itself, not in
> anticipation of some possible future needs.
>
> > Not sure of linux.org.uk financial structure (will investigate).
> > There is Debian-UK which has a bank account but it was one of their
> > officers that suggested it might be easier / more prudent to do the
> > Ltd company thing. Other options might be the AFFS (Association for
> > Free Software) or the UKUUG (UK Unix User Group). Of the two the
> > UKUUG seems more organised and experienced to me (they organise two
> > conferences a year).
> >
> > Presumably it would be acceptable for them (whomever them might end
> > up being) to charge a reasonable admin fee and perhaps offer their
> > members a reduced entrance fee?
>
> For the reduced entrance fee, I'm in favour, especially if it brings
> more people to the conference. For the bank account, I can only tell you
> what's happened in the conferences I've been involved with:
>  - Kristiansand: We had access to the organiser's bank account - the
> university helped organise.
>  - Stuttgart: I have no idea how we handled this in the end. I know we
> were hoping that gnome-de would have an account, but their acts of
> incorpration didn't go through in time
>  - Barcelona: We used the GNOME Hispano account
>  - LGM: We used my personal account. Shush.
>  - GIMPCon 2003 (in Berlin): The money went through Sven Neumann's
> personal account. There wasn't much of it, though, which made things easier.
>
> So - I can tell you what doesn't work (LGM, GIMPCon, Stuttgart) and what
> did (Kristiansand, Barcelona). Perhaps Jeff can tell you what
> linux.conf.au does. Aside from that, a partnership with UKUUG (which
> involves us being nice to them, and not paying any money on transfers
> over & above bank costs and beers for the treasurer, and cheap rates for
> their members) sounds great to me.

This sounds very good to me.

For GUADEC in Copenhagen everything was handled over the DKUUG-
accounting system.

The GUADEC organization payed the same amount pr. money transaction as
the DKUUG did normally pay for their own transactions and possible extra
expenses to cover extra work load for the part time accountant.

Best

Anne