Re: gobject introspection

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 12:48 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I have put my prototype for full gobject introspection in cvs now,
> module gobject-introspection.

Cool.  I already started writing Perl bindings for irepository stuff in
the hope of someday being able to write Perl bindings for C libraries
using Perl, the above mentioned bindings and nothing else.

> But the real reason why I'm posting here is to ask how the different
> language bindings handle unions (in particular GdkEvent).

The Perl bindings wrap all GdkEvents as opaque scalar objects that are
blessed into the namespace that corresponds to their GType.  Specialized
events have accessors for their specific struct members, but also
inherit from Gtk2::Gdk::Event which has accessors for the base struct
members that all events contain.

So, an event of type GDK_BUTTON_RELEASE is wrapped as a scalar blessed
into the namespace Gtk2::Gdk::Event::Button.  It has methods like
button() and device(), but also time() and state() which it inherits
from Gtk2::Gdk::Event.

--
Bye,
-Torsten