Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

>>I don't think it's fair to blame the Foundation for the lack
>>of packaging since it's really not (just) a case of inadequate
>>marketing.
>
> No matter what is really to blame, it ultimately comes down to this
> scenario:
>
> 1. Most distros come with standard Gnome and no bindings, as the distro
> people never understood their value.
> 2. A distro's user needs to run a pygtk app (which as I mentioned earlier,
> pygtk is _very_ popular among devs)
> 3. User tries to find packages of pygtk or gnome-bindings for his distro.

3. should be "User his distro's package management system to install the
app. The package management system gets what it needs, and tells the user
when it's ready." Good distros do this. Debian and Fedora can do this.

No significant percentage of users will get to stage 5.

> 4. User finds none.
> 5. User goes on to install the bindings manually.
> 6. User screws it up or have no idea how to set this up (common outcome).
> 7. The user never manages to use that app he saw on Freshmeat or on
> Gnomefiles.org
> 8. The developer of the app never gets the audience he always wanted, he
> loses interest on his app eventually.
> 9. User gets bitter from his Gnome experience, he blames the "Linux
> desktop".

[snip]

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com