Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

On 22/09/04 15:39, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:

Besides, *I* have done my part (yes, except cluttering Pat's mailbox asking him to include the bindings). I have reported via OSNews.com about the releases of gnome-bindings numerous times in the past, and I have urged distro makers to include them (we serve 190,000+ pageviews per day these days and I know that people from all major distros are reading it, as OSNews is the No2 Linux-related site behind Slashdot -- with LinuxToday and NewsForge following us in traffic numbers).

I don't think it is realistic to expect many distros to ship the entire bindings release. In 2.8, it includes C++, Java, Perl and Python. In the future it will likely grow even further.

In order to ship one of the Gnome bindings, the distro also needs to ship the language the binding is for. For example, the java binding in the bindings release probably won't get distributed as widely as the others because a lot of distros don't ship Java or a JDK.

There are a number of language bindings available that target languages (or versions of languages) distributed by little or no Linux distro. If they become stable enough, there is no reason why they shouldn't be added to the bindings release, but I wouldn't expect distros to suddenly start shipping them. It's one thing to advocate that distros ship bindings for the languages they ship, but it's another thing to advocate that they include the entire bindings release.

James.

--
Email: james jamesh id au
WWW:   http://www.jamesh.id.au/