Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

Laurent Sansonetti <lrz gnome org> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 17:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> I don't know, basically just look at how we can better automate bindings
>> along the lines of XPCOM/UNO. Add some cheesy component-system style
>> features to GObject.
>>
>> I'm looking for practical easy steps forward here.
>
> I don't think code generation is appropriate for complex languages, like
> Ruby for instance.

I _think_ that a high-level-enough API description *could* be used to
generate all kinds of bindings. We're just not-yet-there with the
.defs files.

> In Ruby-GNOME2 we don't use generated code at all.  We prefer writing
> almost all the API manually, to provide a 100% Ruby compliant API.

[nice examples snipped]

> Of course there are similar issues with other libraries, such as
> Ruby/GTK, Ruby/Libglade, etc...
>
> This kind of stuff is impossible to have with generated code.

You used the "i" word, shame on you! Seriously, though, I agree that
this kind of stuff is rather hard to do wit automatic generation, but
certainly not impossible.

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty ICQ      | 118634484 ICQ | a rottmann gmx at

Any technology not indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
   -- Terry Pratchett