Re: A GNOME Bindings release set?

> > Why?  I don't understand why we would need to force people to
> > fragment their bindings.  Can you explain the reasoning
> > behind this requirement?
>
> So that people can more clearly identify what is a binding for the GNOME
> developer platform, and so that we can more clearly identify whether they
> are following the API/ABI rules. Modularity is good.

Actually modularity does not mean separate packages.

I agree that having to download, extract, build, install lots of
separate packages is a pain (and is already a real challenge for gtk+ itself).

Instead you can have a single distribution (e.g. tarball) and if needed,
this dstrib can create multiple libraries for separate components.

For instance for GtkAda, we distribute a single package, that will,
based on configure results, build several libraries for gtk, opengl
support, libglade, gnome, etc...

So in short, I don't see this as 'a requirement' and would object to this
requirement. If it's one possible implementation, then this is of course
fine.

Also another disadvantage of having separate packages is the chance of
using incompatible versions that mismatch.

I believe this issue is actually very painful for gnome libs themselves,
so let's not make it more painful.

Arno