Re: Official .defs files

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> The idea is to avoid including the GTK C headers. While pretty
> painful to implement, there is a noticeable compile speed advantage
> for app writers if you can pull it off.

Well, I guess to me it depends on what the goal is.  If the goal is
fast compilation times, then perhaps you've got a point.  If the goal
is to define a general "C API definition format" that can be used as
universally as possible, then I think the compilation times aren't
relevant when considered against being able to wrap a wider range of
APIs (whether they're doing things they "shouldn't be" or not), and
making sure that there's as little chance of wrapper <-> C-API skew as
possible.

But again, without knowing for sure what the goals are here, it's hard
to know if my objections have any merit.

--
Rob Browning <rlb cs utexas edu> PGP=E80E0D04F521A094 532B97F5D64E3930