Re: [gtkmm] Reusing gtk+ reference documentation

On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 23:58, Murray Cumming wrote:
> My current plan was to copy all the gtk+ inline documentation to gtkmm2
> when they seemed to have finished writing it themselves.
>
> However, maybe this would work:
>
> - A script could scan all the gtk+ code, outputting the text in to a
> file that's a bit like gtk.defs. For instance, gtk.refdoc gtk-doc must
> already do similar scanning to build the html.
>
> - gtkmmproc would look at this gtk.refdoc file as well as gtk.defs when
> it builds the .h/.cc files. It would put the gtk+ comments next to our
> gtkmm methods, for Doxygen to parse. This would make gtkmmproc even
> slower, of course.
>
> - The gtk+ documentation would not always be appropriate, so we could
> have a second file containing a few custom overrides. gtkmmproc would
> use the custom text if it exists for the method.
>
> This would allow us to reuse the code without a lot of tedious
> copy-and-paste, and it would allow us to update our documentation when
> gtk+ updates theirs.

Would any perl coders like to take this task on? I think that the best way might be to add a
--output-docs-defs option to the gtkdoc-mkdb script in the gtk-doc
module. We could then add a suitable make target where this is used in
gtk/docs/reference.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net