[Gnome-bindings] Re: Strings and bindings

Owen Taylor wrote:

> A little while ago, Moshe Zadka sent me some mail asking
> about how strings would be exported to language bindings
> in GTK+-1.4. I replied that I thought that GTK_TYPE_STRING
> would continue to be sufficient, since strings will
> always be 8-bit and UTF-8.

[snip]

You might want to check out the "Encoding Wars --- more in the Big
String Story" thread that is still ongoing in the mozilla.xpcom group
about how we want to handle encodings.  It has a lot of good technical
information, a lot of good arguments and good advice from people that
have "been there."  Check it out.

http://x37.deja.com/[ST_rn=if]/viewthread.xp?thitnum=0&mhitnum=0&toffset=0&CONTEXT=955986068.1479671831&frpage=threadmsg_ct.xp&back=netscape.public.mozilla.xpcom&rok=1

--Chris

--