Re: [Gnome-bindings] Re: Strings and bindings

Marius Vollmer <mvo zagadka ping de> writes:

> > So, the question is, do we need two types in the type system for
> > user-visible and non-user-visible strings or just one?
>
> >From the point of view of guile-gtk, having just one type of strings
> is certainly simpler.  When Gtk+ does not need two types of strings
> for itself, I would prefer to have just one.

OK, vote registered.

> It would also be nice to have a way to know at configure time what
> kind of encoding is used.  Probably some part of the version number of
> Gtk+ is enough for this.

Please, please. Once GTK+-1.4 is out and stable, do not try and
support both GTK+-1.2 and GKT+-1.4 or GTK+-1.0, 1.1.11, 1.2 and 1.4 or
whatever.

Bindings should be targeted at a SINGLE stable version of GTK+.
If people need an old version of GTK+, they should use an old
version of the bindings.

Anything else is just making everybody's life horribly painful
for no good reason.

So, with that in mind, in GTK+1.4, all strings will be encoded
in UTF-8.

(In GTK+-1.2, strings are encoded in some random cross between what
the C library is using and what X is using. If you are lucky, those
are the same.)

Regards,
                                        Owen