Re: [jokosher-devel] SVG vs. PNG loading on startup

On 8/29/06, Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk gmail com> wrote:
I don't think that startup time is so much very important for
multitrack editor,  if it is compared to benefits of SVG. Also it
would be good not to cache all instrument icons at once, but mostly
used. But it is of course MHO.

I think if we can aqueeze all and any performance out of Jokosher, we
should. From what I can tell, we only need a few fixed sizes of png
files anyway, so it could make perfect sense. Icons are used in the
following places:

* Instrument headers
* Mixing view headers
* Minimised instruments in mixing view
* Effects dialog

With these in mind, I would guess that we have two icon sizes - big and small.

Mind you, before we commit, a few things to think about:

* I think it would be worthwhile to have a discussion about shrinking
the height of instrument lanes in the recording view. The size of the
tracks is still a  little large and only a limit number of tracks can
appear on the screen.
* Is having hard-sized png's going to be worth the additional work in
exchange for the performance gain? Personally, I suspect it will. :)

 Jono