[DEPRECATED] Alerts: problem with keyboard input

Hi all,

There's been a problem with alerts or popup requestors in GUIs since their inception. If you are typing and an alert pops up you can dismiss the alert without knowing what it was about. I'm suprised that no one seems to have fixed this in any GUI I've seen for over a decade.

It would be better if an alert didn't accept input directly from the keyboard from simple typing. Perhaps an alert should be passive until the user notices, understands and responds to it. This is especially annoying if the alert is from a process that isn't in front.

Possible alternatives:

1. Instead of an entire alert poping up; a small icon or similar appears on the edge of the screen, over the panel or similar place and flashes or otherwise attracts attention. It does not gain focus until the user clicks on it with the mouse or hits an appropriatly complex key combination. Then the alert pops up and seeks confirmation.

2. Alert pops up as normal; except has no focus and stays ontop until the user clicks on it with the mouse or hits an appropriatly complex key combination.

Thanks for your time,
Andrew Armanini.