Re: [HIG] Druids and GnomeDruid

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 21:15, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Currently the hig suggests we use 'Back' and 'Next' for the buttons in
> an Assistant.  GnomeDruid currently uses 'Back' and 'Forward'.
> Additionally, there is no GTK+ stock item for forward.
>
> Given that the logical pairings are Back/Forward and Previous/Next, do we
> want to update the hig?

I remember the HIG team discussing this way back in the mists of time,
and I think we plumped for:

- 'Next' because a druid is a series of steps, so the most natural
button to look for is one that takes you to the 'next step'

- 'Back' because it's a lot shorter than 'Previous', and nobody ever
uses the Back button anyway so they'll never notice the inconsistency :)

Oh, well, okay then... I expect the real reason is that Windows wizards
use Back and Next, so we just copied them.

Obviously we need to fix the mismatch between GnomeDruid and the HIG.
Personally, because of the 'step' analogy, I think "Previous" and "Next"
make more sense than "Back" and "Forward", so if we're changing to
anything I would vote for changing both the HIG and GnomeDruid to use
those.  (IMHO consistency with "Back" and "Forward" buttons in browsers
isn't important here, as druids have to be traversed from start to
finish in sequence so the navgiational model is a little different.)

Cheeri,
Calum.