Re: [HIG] Re: [Usability]No HIG maintainer?

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 23:36, Seth Nickell wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 09:02, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > This does delay HIG-ization until GNOME 2.4. But then again, for UIs in
> > GNOME 2.2 itself, we hit UI freeze before we could HIG-ize much anyway.
>
> The reason I disagree with you and Havoc on this stuff is that GTK+ has
> not been responsive to HIG desired changes. Look at how long HIG related
> box have been sitting in Bugzilla, often without any GTK-team
> commentary. In fact, most of the pressure I'm seeing to get these things
> added to GTK is from programmers such as jrb who are implementing the
> existing HIG spec but want to do it more conveniently. If GTK+ can
> provide better assurances that HIG related stuff will not be ignored
> without us first asking programmers to hack around GTK+, I'm much
> happier having changes made in GTK+ first.

I haven't seen enough list messages making a fuss about this. Maybe they
are in the archives somewhere. Anyway, I think owen was far too busy
with other GTK+ 2.2 stuff and decided to postpone thinking about the
HIG. The HIG is still relatively new and it's taken a while for people
to digest it.

> Right now, making the changes in the HIG first is:
>
> 1) Much less work for an already over-stretched team who doubles in
> doing usability work for much of GNOME (currently I'm pretty sure we'd
> have to spend lots of time pestering GTK+ folk to actually get things
> changed... I don't want to have to go through a big mailing list
> nightmare for every change)
> 2) More likely to result in success because programmers are more likely
> to fix things in order to be lazy (because its hard to implement HIG
> currently) than because a few of us say "We want this for HIG": no
> matter how obnoxiously and frequently we say it.

Yes, but the HIG took this a bit far recently. And it should make it
clear that bizarre techinical advice is not to be taken too seriously.

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net